Friday, January 18, 2013

Oh by the way, I (Paul) completed my first Nuzlocke in Soul Silver.

Yeah so that happened. This was many months ago. I was busy getting married and stuff, so I was a little preoccupied, but it was such a beautiful thing. We did it. We really, really did it. And I gotta say, it was such a thrill. Lots of pals were lost on the way, but the intrepid survivors fought bravely and triumphed, and are now spending their retirements in the most lavish PC box money can by in my White version. Granted, I have no idea how exactly I did it anymore, but trust me, these guys brought home the bacon.


Tadpole the Poliwhirl was, honestly, an accident. So many friends lost on the way, the sixth slot in my party was like a morbid speed date of wide-eyed newbies, doomed to be torn apart before they would ever know the glory of a gym victory. I caught ol' Tadpole after getting my eighth badge, knowing that someone would have to fill out my party. It was a good choice; with Belly Drum, Earthquake and Wake Up Slap, he knew how to put those goofy fists to use.


Pokeythang the Nidoqueen was tactical dynamite. Opening most fights with a double round of Toxic Spikes, and sporting defense out the wazoo, she was sure start every battle in our favor. A gentle giant, attacking wasn't her main dig, but with Crunch, Avalanche and Earth Power, she could wield an outrageous variety of typed attacks that ain't nobody gonna see coming. With her immunity to poison, she was instrumental in our victory against Koga. It's just a tragedy that Spikeything the Nidorino couldn't be there to see her succeed :(


Meet Raticate the Furret. Strategically named to throw his enemies off balance, she was the quick-striking, finishing-offing, speed demon of the bunch. Sucker Punch and U-Turn helped her avoid damage while Shadow Claw, along with her immunity to ghost attacks, made her the ultimate ghost killer. She was also a master of Attraction and espionage. Though her overbearing swagger made it hard for the rest of the team to deal with at times, having her in the fight made everyone feel that much safer.


Horse the Rapidash joined the party fairly late in the game, but with the speed and power of a falling piano and the killer instinct of a falling piano, he exceeded all expectations. Megahorn was crucial in defeating Will's psychic Pokemon, and strong fire and normal attacks made Horse an important asset in nearly every battle.


Vileplume the Jumpluff was so helpful, you guys. Though she may look like a cottonball, her light squishiness actually made her remarkably resilient. Sleep powder and leech seed paired well with U-turn, making her another excellent hit-and-run fighter. Paired with Raticate, these girls could tag-team just about anyone slower then them... which was everyone. Giga Drain helped her stay ship-shape throughout the battles. Grass/Flying is resistant to a surprising number of types - she was super useful in taking on Bruno's fighting and rock types, and none of the elite 4 could really handle her antics. Don't let anyone talk smack on Jumpluff, yall.


The death of Venusaur the Bayleef was very hard on me. We weren't sure we could go on. I had a few Pokemon that I was excited about, but none of them felt like a true partner. None of them really understood me. I didn't just need a warrior; I needed a friend. Then came Raichu the Ampharos like Gandalf over the hills to Helm's Deep. A quirky little guy, he fought a balanced fight, casting Light Screen to protect the party while putting his tremendous sp. attack to use with moves like Discharge, Focus Blast and Signal Beam. His staticy body stopped many an assailant in their tracks. He was proud of his power, and I was too. Thank you Bulbasaur for giving me the hope I so desperately needed to forge ahead, to start anew, to claim my destiny.



Many other Pokemon played key supportive roles in our journey. I would like to thank
!!TNEPRES the Arbok for always being there just in case, and Wet Dragon the red Gyarados and Big Bird the Fearow for being our boat and plane, respectively.

And now, a moment of silence for the many, many, many brave heroes who gave their lives to make this possible.
Clefable the Togepi
Dragon
the Dratini
Crustacean
the Krabby
Scyther
the Ledian
Bird
the Pidgeotto
Fungus
the Paras
Goldfish
the Goldeen
Spikything
the Nidorino
Omastar
the Corsola
Tauros
the Stantler
Lil Dragon
the Dragonair
Rock
the Graveler
and especially,
Venusaur the Bayleef
it was all for you, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment