Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paul's Proud Pearl Party

After my early defeat in LeafGreen, I took the challenge in Pearl version. That's generation 4. Long ago, I played through it with a Chimchar and beat the Elite Four countless times, getting my Pokedex pretty dang close to complete after that. But that was not the challenge.

I've tried to forget the challenge, but I can't. It will be a part of me forever. We came so close.

I started with Honey the Piplup. She became a brave Empoleon. She was a hero.


Honey the Empoleon, ManStallion the Rapidash, Keeper the Drifblim, Kazza the Kadabra, Sweetcheeks the Gyarados, and Sweetie Pie the Gastrodon. That was my team.

Many were lost along the way. Shnookums the Sneasel, Cutie the Bastiodon... maybe if I had taken better care of you, things would have been different. Maybe not. We will never know.

We were at a pretty steady level 50. We shared a last supper of vitamins and rare candies in the pokemon center. It was time.

The first member of the Elite 4 uses bug pokemon. Not a problem. We laughed about it as we trounced bug after bug. ManStallion and Keeper teamworked it, and Honey could take hits when necessary. They worked together with fluid efficiency, driven together by the necessity of weeks of hard combat. We won the fight with barely a scratch.

The next foe used the ground type, starting with an evasive Quagsire who liked to use protect and sandstorm a lot. Defense-heavy. Little did he know, while he was trying to make himself unkillable, Sweetcheeks was doing his little dragon boogie and maxing out his attack and speed. When he finally scored a hit on the Quagsire, it was all over. None of his other pokemon even got an attack out! Sweetcheeks was just too fast and strong from all his gettin' down.

The third of the four used fire. Sweetcheeks used the same strategy to the same effect. We felt great.

The final opponent used psychic Pokemon. The plan was to use ManStallion's megahorn and Keeper's shadow ball, with Honey's steel defense to take hits. I knew it wouldn't be easy when her first pokemon, a Mr. Mime, started the fight by chunking down a big thunderbolt on my poor Honey. I got her out of there just in time, but things didn't look good. Two of my three prepared pokemon would be annihilated by that electric attack; only ManStallion could take the hit. He did, and he beat the Mr. Mime, though it was close. That's when she sent out her bronzong.

A bronzong is a floating chunk of slag that uses psychic attacks, has no weakness except fire, and looks incredibly stupid.

I thought ManStallion's fireblast would take him out in one hit, so I told him to do that. It didn't work. He still had more than half his health, and he was using calm mind, meditating to raise his special defense and attack EVEN MORE. Like he even needed to! It was all over after that first fire blast. I saw the fear in ManStallion's eyes as the Bronzong pulled an earthquake out of its cold metal butt and wrecked him completely. His psychic attack was at full power, and no one was safe from it. Honey made a good effort, taking him to the brink of death, but to no avail. She used a hyper potion. It was over.

Cutie Pie the gastrodon was the last gasp of my party's shattered dreams. He got lucky, scored a critical hit with muddy water, and finally took down the bronzong. The bronzong that killed my party. The bronzong that still haunts my dreams. Cutie Pie was a hero that day. We did not win, but at least we were avenged. When the next pokemon, an alakazam, energy-balled my Gastrodon to death in one hit, it was bittersweet. I knew it was coming; the tragedy was already complete. At least we didn't let that filthy bronzong get away with it.  Rest in peace, Cutie Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment