Friday, October 18, 2013

Xisode 2: Wow theres a lot of stuff

So the intrepid Habberdash and company continues on to Lumiose city, the 4th and biggest city in the game. seriously massive. Half of it isnt accessible until later and it still took me the better part of an hour to search the whole thing. The only real thing of note here is I finally met this gen's professor and he offered me a kanto starter (sick). So with the team newly bolstered by Smithers the Squirtle, we continued on. (I should also note that Lizzy has been helping me name my team).
 The game has been progressing smoothly with a host of new catches. The is such a big variety in what can be caught in this game that I havent even needed to use my re-encounter rule yet. Notable new catches include Chalmers the Pancham (fighting) and the fossilized Trungle the Tyrunt (dragon/rock).
  Chalmers, despite being totally awesome, has fallen behind a bit due to an unfavorable nature and having not evolved yet. He has agreed to become the teams designated "move technician," bravely biting the bullet and learning rock smash, cut, false swipe and strength so the rest of the team doesnt have to. HM slave isn't a very politically correct term and I would never degrade a member of my team by using them as such.
Speaking of evolutions, we had a slew of them. The very first of which was my starter Colby evolving into the lovable dweeb Quilladin. Followed by Magpie into Pidgeotto, Fetch into Fletchinder (fire/flying woooo!), Smithers into Wartortle, and Cornroll into a digimon.

Along the road after Lumiose we ran into a castle. This didn't affect the story much but the people there knighted me! So now I demand to be referred to as Sir Baron Habberdash. BWAHAHAHA.

Three cities later we finally reach the 2nd gym. This game is freaking huge. We approached it with some trepidation after the close encounter with the first. After loading up on potions and entering cautiously, I found my fears were unfounded. Not only was I able to leave at will (not sure why they made only the very first gym inescapable), but it was rock type. At this point I had an evolved gent 6 grass starter, an evolved gen 1 water starter, a fighting type panda, and a ground type digibunny, I was pretty confident. The battle itself was not as lopsided as I hoped. The leader only had two pokemon, another tyrunt and the other fossil pokemon whose name I cant remember. The dragon typing negating Chalmer's type advantage dragged the battle out a lot longer, but leech seed won the day.
And that brings us up to present! I'm already 16 hours in and I only have 2 badges. Still no deaths yet though, BUT FOR HOW LONG.
Habbderdash's team:

 ^see? total dweeb

^definitely a digimon

 I dont know why the blog screwed the formatting up so much. I cant wait for them to just come out with gen 6 trainer cards....

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS NON-STORY RELATED MUSINGS ABOUT NEW GAME FEATURES AND HOW  THEY AFFECT THE NUZLOCKE CHALLENGE. MORE BORING THAN THE REST OF THIS POST.
More so than any previous generations, this game presents a lot of nuzlocke moral dilemmas. Shortly after the first gym, I was given the EXP share. Rather than giving to one pokemon, they reverted back to the gen 1 method of evenly distributing experience throughout your entire party. however, rather than splitting it 6 ways, everyone gets 1/2 the experience the pokemon fighting got. Essentially, every battle yields 3x the experience it would otherwise, spread amongst your team. The obvious result of this is that my team was quickly 8-10 levels higher than everything I fought. I turned it off before the second gym, and I'm going to try to keep it off the rest of the challenge, but dang, all the enemies caught up in levels as soon I stopped using it. I'm hoping the game stays balanced even if i don't use it.
Another addition is super training. Super training is a mini game available at the beginning of the game that lets you maximize your team's EV's without battling. For the slightly less nerdy, Effort Values are invisible points your 'mons gain for defeating enemies that increase their stats slightly over time. They're the reason a pokemon leveled only with rare candies isnt as strong. Defeating fast pokemon makes your speed better, bulky pokemon increases your health, etc. Competitive players train their team in such a way that they only fight pokemon that give them desirable EV's (for example if you have a scyther you want it only to fight pokemon that give it attack and speed points). With the new minigame, anyone can max these desirable EV's pretty quickly, making your team stronger. I did it for smithers the squirtle, but the rest of my team I think I'll let gain Ev's naturally/randomly as I play through.
Another new thing is "o-powers," essentially abilities the trainer can use that give you little perks and recharge over time. These range from giving your pokemon a stat boost in the next battle, to a slightly easier time catching wild ones, to boosting winnings from trainer battles. The one I use the most heals the lead pokemon in your party slightly. You unlock more as you progress through the game they arent totally spamable. I dont feel too bad about these so I'll continue using them. 
Last thing I promise. They have a similar minigame for raising affection. This is a bigger deal because pokemon with max affection gain ridiculous benefits like 10% evasion, more crits, boosted exp, healing of status problems, and the ability to survive an attack with 1 hp. Obviously a HUGE benefit for nuzlockers. I did it for Colby, but I'm thinking I'll stop there. It's going to be hard to balance the challenge with these features. If you care I'll keep you updated on my thoughts as I continue.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, Joe, I'd say those are all fair game. The Nuzlocke rules are what they are, and if this generation is easier to do with Nuzlocke, that's fine with me. I'd wager there are gonna be new complexities that make it harder, too, and I wouldn't want you to lose for a silly reason. That being said, I also found out that the first battle when you have pokeballs is scripted to always be a pidgey (gasp). Some Nuzlockers aren't counting that one as their first on route 2 (? or whatever), but it sounds like your Pidgeotto is a welcome and beloved member of your team, so I'm sure you have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT. thats weird, why would they do that? thats so... mundane.

    ReplyDelete